Minnewanka Memories

by on Dec 19, 2011 in Fave Photos | 23 Comments

In early December, Samantha and I headed out to Lake Minnewanka in Banff National Park to meet up with and do a sunset shoot with Marc Adamus and Kory Lidstrom. Marc was on a three week adventure of shooting the Canadian Rockies and Kory met up with him for a week. We headed to Minnewanka for some ice on the lake which was just beginning to freeze. Below are my four favorite compositions from the evening. Thanks for the nice evening guys and hope to meet up again sometime! Can’t wait to see everyone else’s images.

Canon EOS-1ds MArk III, Canon TSE 17mm lens, 1/10s at f11, Lens tilted for DOF

Canon EOS-1ds MArk III, Canon TSE 17mm lens, 1/20s at f11, Lnes tilted for DOF and shifted to make a vertical pano.

Canon EOS-1ds MArk III, Canon TSE 17mm lens, 1/4s at f10

Canon EOS-1ds Mark III, Canon TSE 24mm lens, 3.2 at f10, lens in portrait orientation and shifted left and right to give a larger image.

Thanks for looking! Darwin

1. Trap
    December 19, 2011

Fantastic Images, between the sweet light and the great compositions, luv the lead in of the foreground in everyone of these images.
    Superb and very impressive and inspiring work

2. Veronica (Roni) Barrett
    December 19, 2011

Darwin – absolutely spectacular! Breathtakingly beautiful and the first one is SO delicate….
    best wishes, Roni B

3. Tom Nevesely
    December 19, 2011

Beautiful work! I love the fourth photo the most though.

4. Ron Paris
    December 19, 2011

These are incredible images, Darwin. You certainly have captured the beauty of this location and time of year.
    Ron

5. Linda McRae
    December 19, 2011

Wow, Darwin, these photos are gorgeous. And it certainly looked cold when you were there!
    Regards,
    Linda

6. Colleen Miniuk-Sperry
    December 19, 2011

Gorgeous photographs, Darwin! I can actually feel the cold from my warm office in Arizona. My favorite is the first one – just digging the light, the reflection, the shoreline, the composition, well, the whole darn thing! Keep up the great work!

7. Anne Jutras
    December 19, 2011

Some gorgeous shot you got there, Darwin. Absolutely breathtaking! You sure make a great team.

8. Bobby Scott
    December 19, 2011

Crazy shots Darwin! Always inspirational, especially the last one, thanks for creating and sharing them with us.

9. Wayne Simpson
    December 20, 2011

Nice Shots Darwin. I like the first shot … the icy rock looks pretty cool!

10. Brad Harte
    December 20, 2011

Darwin you are amazing those shots are absolutely beautiful thank you for sharing.

11. Linda
    December 20, 2011

I would love to own a TSE lens but if I did, where would I learn how to use it?

12. Darwin Wiggett
    December 21, 2011

Thanks everyone for the comments on my work, Sam’s images are coming up next, stay tuned for something completely different!

13. Shoreline images of Lake Minnewanka, Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada | oopoomoo
    December 21, 2011

[…] thought I would share my images from our Minnewanka shoot, since they are quite different from Darwin’s.  Without fresh snow, the shoreline was pretty grungy.  And we tracked up the shoreline with our […]

14. Greg McCracken
    December 29, 2011

These are truly lovely photos! I am wondering, however, how they would look if they had been shot with Fuji Velvia film.

December 31, 2011

Greg, they would look much different on Velvia! In fact the first two probably could not be captured on film because I was using a lens that could not be filtered and each of those shots is an HDR image using 5 shots bracketed at 2EV apart for each shot.

15. Jim Harte
    December 31, 2011

Beautiful pics! It’s amazing what you see and accomplish with your eyes.
    Thanks for sharing your art.

16. Kory Lidstrom
    January 5, 2012

Hey Darwin! Don’t know how I missed this post earlier. Anyhow, it was great shooting with you. And, thanks for the linkage.

The first image is my fave. I love the leading lines of the curving shoreline. And, the glow in the mountain helps pull the eye in. And, of course, the frost on everything is icing on the cake. Nice work.

January 5, 2012

Thanks Kory, if you post your image to NPN or Flickr on your blog I will link to your shot here!

BTW, I really love your shot and I actually like the out-of-focus mountain in the background, it adds mystery.

d

17. Joel Sjaarda
    January 5, 2012

Darwin, super images! I am wondering, do you use the 24mm or 17mm tilt-shift lens more often? Also, do you miss not being able to filter to 17mm ts-e or do you generally accomplish what you wish to by combining exposures and creating HDR images?

Lastly, you show that you tilted the lens for DOF in your first image. How did that affect the image – since you were shooting at f/11, would you not have had enough DOF without tilting? Thanks for your time.

January 5, 2012

I use the 24mm the most because I can use filters!

With the 17mm TS-E I have to do HDR’s or exposure blending

The tilt gives me incredible looking DOF, without the tilt I would have to use f22 and even then the whole scene would not be in focus!

d

18. Robert
    January 7, 2012

Hi Darwin,
    you mentioned several times that the TS-E 17 doesn’t accept filters. OK, that’s right but what is your opinion about the DIY adapters where the lense cap is modified, like shown here http://linsenschuss.de/index.php/blog/79-canon-ts-e-17mm-f4l-filterhalter (sorry for the German website but it was the best illustration of the modification process I could find, there are English versions available and also adaptions of the Cokin Z-Po holder). Did you never try it or doesn’t it work as expected for you?

Like you I prefer my TS-E 24mm II because I use filters a lot. But the TS-E 17mm is quite tempting…. Thanks, Robert

January 8, 2012

Robert, that link looks very cool; it might be worth trying the modification especially to be able to use the Big Stopper. I obviously have not tried it yet.