Our Favorite Dog Photos

by on Apr 7, 2012 in Fave Photos | 11 Comments

For Easter, we thought we would share a subject dear to our heart – dogs! Below are 20 of our favorite photos of pooches, puppies, and pound dogs. We hope to get out and photograph more of our furry friends this year. If you’ve got a favorite Fido you want photographed, we’d be happy to come over with our bag of hot dog treats and bribe your puppy for photos!

©Samantha Chrysanthou

©Samantha Chrysanthou

©Samantha Chrysanthou

©Samantha Chrysanthou

Laughing

©Samantha Chrysanthou

©Darwin Wiggett©Darwin Wiggett

1. wira
    April 7, 2012

Darwin, that’s really lovely! You capture their emotion, i am smiling watching this photos. 😀

2. Rosaleen
    April 8, 2012

Oh guys yr doggie pix are excellent, every eye as sharp as a tack with the so important catch lite . I specially like the “funny” faces, big smile on my face. If i may ask what lens do u use for the close up of the funny faces?

Kiwi greetings
    R

April 8, 2012

Mostly we use a 24-70mm lens, the goofy close-ups were usually taken in the 24-35mm range (distorts faces comically when close).

3. Milkayphoto
    April 8, 2012

All winners here, guys! (And THAT’s sayin’ alot coming from this cat owner! 🙂 )

April 8, 2012

Wow, a cat owner commenting on dog pics and liking them – high praise thanks!

4. Justin McCarthy
    April 13, 2012

Darwin-
    Great photos except 1 which I think is deplorable- The border collie with the apple in the cross-hairs of a slingshot. You should really take this down lest a young person (or old for that matter) gets the wrong idea that it’s ok to shoot rocks at your dog.
    You obviously love dogs-but this really isn’t a joking or loving picture. With all the of the animal abuses that we have right now, this picture just seems to ad to the heap. I’m sure this must have been an oversight on your part. Wishing you the best-and hoping you delete the photo- Justin McCarthy

April 16, 2012

Hi Justin,

The photo was supposed to illustrate the concept of ‘trust’ using the William Tell fable as the idea behind the shot. It was meant as a tribute of trust between humans and dogs and not a call for animal abuse. We’ll now see how some people might misinterpret the image. We’ll rethink posting this shot and decide if it needs a disclaimer or needs to be removed. Let us think on this a bit.

• Tom Nevesely
      April 18, 2012

Justin, I don’t see how that photo is deplorable or even how it portrays animal abuse.
      I think that rather than always deleting/blocking/censoring something maybe parents should take the responsibility and actually teach their children what is right and what is wrong.

• Justin
      April 18, 2012

Tom,
      To begin with, I’m an attorney and I do not condone censorship . . . However, I do believe in responsible use of this media, especially when the portfolio is titled, “Our favorite Dog Photos.” This website also invites public comment on the photos. This is not my favorite photo, although Mr. Wiggett has been one of my favorite photographers. Furthermore, I came across this photo because I follow his articles in Outdoor Photography Canada.
      I think comment, “I don’t see …even how it portrays animal abuse.” is absurd. There is a beautiful, trusting, dog sitting in front of a slingshot with the sling drawn back . . . Hmmm, if you saw this occurring on the street, wouldn’t you stop it? I would, you should. Depending on the situation, I’d demand that criminal charges be filed. Been there, too. In fact, I’ve successfully prosecuted these types. I won’t get into how animal abuse is typically the forerunner to other assaultve criminal acts by the perpetrator. Does anyone remember a football player named Vick? His dogs trusted him, too.
      To others viewing this discourse, Stand up for what is right IF you really love dogs.

5. Rho
    April 19, 2012

Wiggett, I love your photos, especially the first one of the pug. It’s super cute!! I do agree with Justin’s comments regarding the picture with the sling shot at the Border Collie. Unfortunately, animals trust humans much more than than they should and it’s really sad. Almost all of the pictures are solely focused on the canine, but the one picture with human involment happens to be the one that is potentially destructive.

Tom, I don’t think Justin was advocating for censorship, but suggesting to not add a picture of a sling shot at an animal, amongst beautiful and cute pictures of the dogs. In a way, it is a misrepresentation of the message Wiggett is trying to convey. Why should the the dog trust a human with a sling shot???? I’d like to know if this person has 100% accuracy and precision in his sling shot ability. In reality, there shouldn’t even be anything in the first place to censor or delete. It just shouldn’t be at all.

6. Genesis
    April 19, 2012

I agree with the last comment by Rho. If this picture was a child instead, there could actually be criminal changes. Unfortunately there are a lot of children, (and adults) that grab negative ideas from online pictures and think about trying it themselves. Why would anyone who actually deserves trust, place their animal in harm’s way for personal amusement and entertainment.