Free Tilt-Shift Instructional Videos: Part IV – Using Live View for Precise Tilt

Posted by on Aug 2, 2012 in Free Articles, Tips' n Tricks, Videos | 9 Comments

In the video below, I show you how to use live view with a dSLR to help determine the precise amount of tilt needed to match the plane of focus with the subject plane. In our upcoming  eBook,  The Tilt-Shift Lens Advantage for Outdoor and Nature Photography, Samantha and I have published a short-cut to get you to the right amount of tilt faster than using this live view method. But if precision is what you’re looking for and you have time (the scene isn’t running away), then this method is superior.

The new eBook on tilt-shift lenses has also just been released!

Here is the very ‘exciting’ photo that resulted from the video demo! ;-)

Canon 24mm tilt-shift lens tilted so the plane of focus matched the subject plane and then shot at f8 for optimal resolution.

In the real world of landscape photography, replace this corrugated steel with a subject like a seashore, desert, ice or prairie landscape and the principle is the same: tilt so the plane of focus and main subject plane match. For example, in the photo below of a scene in Iceland, I tilted so the plane of focus matched the top of the grass-covered stone wall. I chose an aperture of  f8 not only for good resolution but to increase the depth of field in the photo to cover any areas of the scene that fell out of the subject plane (but most of the scene was pretty much in the same plane as the grassy wall).

Mývatn Iceland

1. David McLaughlin
    August 3, 2012

Beautiful image. (Mývatn Iceland)

You’ve made me a believer Darwin, in the possibilities of a Tilt-Shift lens.
    I manly shot real estate images, and I’m spending a lot of time fixing keystoning in post. Doing it in camera would pay for the lens very quickly.

David

2. kim
    August 24, 2012

Hello

I am starting in the field and would like know for a begginer what type of camera should I by?

kim

3. Panoramic Photographs Using Tilt-Shift Lenses | Wesley Picotte Wilderness Landscapes
    November 16, 2012

[...] your scene (check out Oopoomoo’s great video series on tilt-shift – part IV gets into [...]

4. Use Tilt-Shift to Create High-Resolution Images and Big Prints | Wesley Picotte Wilderness Landscapes
    November 16, 2012

[...] your scene (check out Oopoomoo’s great video series on tilt-shift – part IV gets into focus). Ensure that the len’s tilt axis is perpendicular to the [...]

5. Doug Thierman
    October 17, 2013

Darwin,
    Thanks for your speedy reply today and the video links. That worked. When I click on the articles in the website there is a video link which shows up and then immediately disappears. Not sure if others are having this problem or if it is particular to my system but thought you might like to know.
    Cheers
    Doug

• Stephen DesRoches
      October 18, 2013

Thanks Doug for reporting a problem. This should now be fixed.

6. Ron Hiller
    October 27, 2013

I purchased the Tilt-Shift ebook a year or so ago. I notice that when I click on one of the video links, it takes me to a youtube error message:

“Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later.”

By hunting around, I was able to find the actual URLs for the videos.

Further investigation shows that the URLs embedded in my pdf are slightly different than the actual ones for the videos. For example for this video, my ebook contains http://www.youtube.com/watch%253Fv%253DBwJqHgkdfxg whereas the correct URL is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwJqHgkdfxg Note the differences in the ?v= portion.

The ebook (combined with the videos) is excellent! I borrowed a Canon 24 mm TS-E lens for evaluation and the workflow in the ebook enabled me to get the shots I wanted and to understand the process.

Thanks!

• Stephen DesRoches
      October 28, 2013

Thanks Ron. Yes, at some point after the initial release of the ebook, links have changed and will probably continue to give us problems as websites are updated. You’ll also notice that all the Canon links are broken too.

I’m not really sure why the youtube links have broken but we’re pretty sure they were working when the ebook was first released. Regardless, we have fixed the known problems and quietly release updates and fixes to our ebooks.

You are correct in that replacing ‘%253Fv%253D’ with ‘?v=’ in the address will fix the links. If you would like the updated ebook, I have looked up your transaction id and reissued the thank you email with a new download link.

• Ron Hiller
      October 28, 2013

Thanks so much! Works perfectly now. I’d originally been reading it on an airplane, so I’d never even tried the video links.

And, this really is a great book! I would have struggled forever with the Tilt settings without the clear, concise and pragmatic explanations in the book.