Waterton Lakes National Park – Alternative Landscapes and Intimate Views

Below, Ian McGillvrey, Samantha and I present a few ‘alternative’ or unexpected images we made in Waterton during our 5-day backpack trip. These shots go beyond the obvious and show the little things that captured our eyes while out nature trekking.

©Samantha Chrysanthou

©Samantha Chrysanthou

©Ian McGillvrey

©Ian McGillvrey

Waterton-Grass-Reflection

©Ian McGillvrey

©Ian McGillvrey

©Ian McGillvrey

1. Cindy
    August 10, 2013

Darwin, in the last image, the background looks like when one moves the camera for a “Monet” effect, but the trees in front are sharp. Is this just from using a really narrow range of focus (wide open) or ???
    Thanks. Love these images.

2. Darwin Wiggett
    August 10, 2013

hi Cindy,

I can not take credit for the cool soft blurred background – nature provided that with a blurred lake reflection due to a very soft breeze.

3. Richard Siggins
    August 10, 2013

Cool! Similar theme as a program I’m preparing for a local camera club entitled – “Moving Past Iconic Photography”. I will use photos from a recent trip to Washington State and Oregon to illustrate how I have moved from shooting the iconic images everyone gets to making photos that show the beauty others miss.

I’m planning on using my first photography book as an example of Iconic Photography – Photographing The Canadian Rockies. I took that book on my fist big trip and followed it page by page to try and get all the shots in the book. I learned a great deal and still have that book. Now I try to not come back with the same images you can find 100’s of by doing a google search.

4. Anne Jutras
    August 11, 2013

Beautiful selection of imageries! You have a keen eye to capture simple detail and transform them in peace of art. I particularly love the first and the fourth images, but they all look beautiful.

5. Spencer Dykstra
    August 11, 2013

Love the set! Fantastic images by all. These images to me represent a deep familiarity with the area, and the openness to finding details generally missed with set photographic goals.

Cheers

Spencer

6. Waterton – Home of the Foggy Sunrise | Ian McGillvrey Photography
    August 13, 2013

[…] on the stories that go with them. Also, make sure you check out the 2 part series of posts (part 1, part 2) over on oopoomoo (Sam and Darwin’s blog) that feature 2 collections of images from the 3 of […]