Celebrating the 10 Year Anniversary of “How to Photograph the Canadian Rockies”

It’s hard to believe but it was 10 years ago this week that my guidebook How to Photograph the Canadian Rockies was released!

HowtoPhoto-OFC-750px

In 2004, my career as a photographer was suffering because my main source of income, stock photography, had taken a big hit after the market shocks following 9/11 in 2001. I needed something to rejuvenate my career. So I came up with the idea of writing a photographers’ guide book to the Canadian Rockies, a region I knew and loved well. I pitched the idea to a publisher and in April of 2004, with an advance from the publisher in my pocket, I headed to the Rockies to shoot new images and do on-the-ground research for the book. I finished shooting and writing in September of 2004 and turned the manuscript over to publisher who released it in April of 2005. Once the publisher saw the photos I submitted for the guide book, they asked if I would also be willing to do a coffee table book as a companion piece. They called the book Dances with Light – The Canadian Rockies and it was released at the end of April 2005. Both books became Canadian best sellers and each went through three sucessive printings. I’m sure the books would have sold even more copies but the publisher went bankrupt because they expanded too big, too fast. Unfortunately, both books are now out of print. New copies of How to Photograph the Canadian Rockies now sell on Amazon starting at $250.oo! It’s original price was $14.95. Crazy.

Dances-OFC-750

Once the publisher went out of business, I bought the remaining copies of How to Photograph the Canadian Rockies (HTPTCR) and sold them through my website – sales were brisk! Once those books were gone, I asked Stephen DesRoches to help me update and design the content as eBooks for specific regions of the Canadian Rockies – we called these eGuides. I took the original content of HTPTCR, added new locations, more photos and updated the descriptions and sold the eGuides by park and by season. Later, when Samantha and I formed our joint company, oopoomoo, we added new locations (the Kootenay Plains) that were not in the original book. And finally, we asked John Marriott, the premier wildlife photographer of the Rockies, to write a title on wildlife photography for the HTPTCR series of eGuides. The result is our eight title library on the Canadian Rockies. Many, many photographers have used our eGuides over the years and our inbox is full of high praise from photographers grateful to us for saving them time and getting them to awesome locations in the right light. In fact, we know of several photographers who have used our eGuides to help them take people on Canadian Rockies photo tours. You know you did a good job when others can take your information and successfully design a photo tour!

NMP15414

To celebrate 10 years of guiding photographers to the right place at the right time either through our eGuides or through our tours and workshops, we are bundling our complete collection of Rockies eGuides into one specially priced package. To buy these eGuides individually costs $80, but now you can buy all eight eGuides for only $60 (basically, you get two eGuides for free). Happy Anniversary!

How to Photograph the Canadian Rockies

How to Photograph the Canadian Rockies – The Complete Collection

Stay tuned to this blog because Sam and I will be celebrating this milestone by sharing some of our unpublished Canadian Rockies photos. It’s still a place that makes my heart swell with happiness. We would only add one little plea to this post…please, as Albertans, Canadians and passionate photographers from all over the world, let’s take care of this region and treat it with the respect it deserves.

©Samantha Chrysanthou

©Samantha Chrysanthou

1. Sarah Marino
    April 23, 2015

Count me among the people who love both the book and the ebooks! The book helped me plan three great Canadian Rockies trips and one of your photos of the Ramparts inspired a backpacking trip to the Tonquin Valley. I protect my book like crazy because even though the ebooks are excellent, I don’t want to pay $250 for a replacement! Thank you for creating such excellent resources.

2. Ellen Kinsel
    April 23, 2015

I cannot imagine anyone traveling to the Canadian Rockies without these resources. Even if you didn’t have a camera, the tips on where to find the hidden gems would be worth it. Last year I shared the trail to the Bow River Outlet with a group of Ukrainian photographers who I am sure would never have known of this trail without having access to your book or ebook. Thanks so much for providing such excellent, and affordable, guides to this spectacular region.

3. Stephen DesRoches
    April 23, 2015

Happy 10 years.

4. Al Dixon
    April 23, 2015

Congrats on a great milestone!! I’ve used all of your guides quite extensively, and they have been a great resource as I drive forward with my photographic endeavors. With all of the guides saved to my phone it’s just like having you and Sam in the field with me. Sorry… what’s that, Sam?? Oops… didn’t see that pokie. Thanks for catching it!! 😉

On a serious note, though, thank you for all you and Sam do in sharing your passion & knowledge with the rest of us. I’m sure many would share the sentiment that we are all the better for it.

April 28, 2015

Hi Al, and thanks to people like you who support and appreciate what oopoomoo does!

5. Marty Prentice
    April 23, 2015

I still utilize my original hard copy of the original Rockies guide and I am not even tempted to sell it off for $250!!!!!

6. Armin
    April 23, 2015

The best guidebooks I even found!

7. Mrinal Das
    April 23, 2015

Congratulations Darwin!

8. mike kap
    April 24, 2015

The book guide is always in the vehicle when I head to Banff or Jasper. Thanks Darwin.

9. Christine Bertschy
    April 26, 2015

I bought your guidebook in Jasper back around 2008 (?). It was my first, and became my go-to that really got me started in my Nature and Landscape Photography ventures. I had no idea that it was no longer available, and I definitely VERY much regret not buying the coffee table book, I remember seeing it and looked at it many times! I will be treasuring my little guidebook a little more than ever now 🙂 I have also purchased most if not all of your e-books, all excellent references! They are all very special places indeed. Thank you again for your wealth of knowledge and the awareness you bring to protecting these places! Happy Anniversary!!

10. Branimir Gjetvaj
    April 28, 2015

Congratulations Darwin. And thank you for a very nice, personal post. Good luck with the presentation in Winnipeg. Sorry I could not come – all day meetings on Saturday and a trade show prevented me from joining.

April 28, 2015

Thanks Branimir, I am sure we’ll get together again soon!

11. Susan Osborn
    May 3, 2015

Love your book . It is one of my most prized of my books. My son and I used it exclusively while traveling in 2010 and 2011. And when I miss Canada, I just view your book. Wish that I had the coffee table edition and would love to meet you some day. Thank you for your blogs which inspire and inform my own photography.

12. Mark Wainer
    May 12, 2015

Congratulations. IMHO no one knows how and where to photograhaph the Candian Rockies like Darwin. I have been to 3 of his workshops and he has consistently taken us to the right place at the right time.

May 13, 2015

Mark, it has always been a great pleasure and inspiration to have you come along on tours!

13. Mufty Mathewson
    July 17, 2015

Hi Darwin. Bill and I love travelling the parkway up and down from Jasper, Down and up From Lake Louise or In from Kootney Plains and Rocky Mountain House, We tell everyone we see that “This is a World Heritage Site, you know.” We really enjoy this spectacular country. Why go anywhere else on holiday?
    We use your book and always think of you as we pass Panther Falls. Would never have known about it without your book. Good work fellow photographer! Mufty

July 22, 2015

Hi Mufty, so good to hear from you; you are such an inspiration to so many photographers who came out of Images Alberta Camera Club, thanks for all you do!