Ravenscape

Darwin and I have been visiting our favourite mountain retreat, Aurum Lodge for the past couple of weeks. The weather has been crazy warm and not even that windy for almost the entire time. We did have one snow squall which meant waking up to a surreal, quiet, white world the next day. Both of us headed out with our cameras, going in different directions, and I was incredibly fortunate to spend a half an hour watching and photographing a raven that was observing the still morning.

raven in a tree at Abraham Lake

©Samantha Chrysanthou

Although I could have grabbed a shot and quickly left in search of something new, as soon as that thought entered my mind, I had to laugh at myself. What could possibly be more magical than the light, the sun and this dark creature right in front of me? I’m not a wildlife photographer, but I appreciate the patience it takes to learn the habits of animals in order to better photograph them.

raven in a tree at Abraham Lake

©Samantha Chrysanthou

raven in a tree at Abraham Lake

©Samantha Chrysanthou

And this raven rewarded my decision to stay and observe by preening, calling to a friend, and taking the scene all in before finally flying away. It was a magical experience, and I’m grateful for the opportunity I had to be part of that snowy spring world.

raven in a tree at Abraham Lake

©Samantha Chrysanthou

1. Russ
    April 2, 2015

Beautiful work. Well worth hanging around.

2. Kent Wilson
    April 2, 2015

Very nice capture of raven in its environment.

3. Chris
    April 2, 2015

I think I like photography and taking a camera is a great excuse to watch these moments and get lost in it. I then capture it and when I look through my photos I go back to that moment.

Great post.

4. Marty Prentice
    April 2, 2015

Love the compositions Sam! Proves the point: Appreciating wildlife does not require the big glass.

5. Lincoln Dunstan
    April 3, 2015

One very brief question…What happened to the beautiful, sun orb, in picture two?

• Samantha Chrysanthou
      April 10, 2015

Hi Lincoln,

Sorry…not sure what you mean. The sun was coming in and out of some dense, low clouds that were moving quickly so how it captured digitally changed frequently.

• Lincoln Dunstan
      April 10, 2015

With the sun and sky composition always changing, as you have said, it would appear you have been caught out over exposing that part of the sky, thus loosing nice detail as in photo #2. #3 is great!

6. Derek Chambers
    April 3, 2015

Beautiful photographs Sam. I particularly like the palette and the textures, especially in the first photograph. Wonderful filtered light, perfect for the snow covered landscape. And the raven completes the image. Lovely.

7. Jane Chesebrough
    April 3, 2015

I love the texture in this photo both in the low-lying clouds and the trees in the foreground. with the raven in its environment. I like that kind of light and mood, well captured.

8. Samantha Chrysanthou
    April 10, 2015

Thanks for the kind words and appreciation, everyone!

9. Duncan Speight